Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sewing... Ah crap!

I've been sewing a bit to stay calm and be busy. My sewing kit is from the discount store. I purposely put in a simple pattern and the cloth needed to complete the project. Along with the simple adornments. It's not much. I had already done a similar project before at home. I like to sew, but, I should have known better than to use discount store supplies! 

My needle threader broke on me! I have used the needle threader half a dozen times without any problems. It's a cheap thing! Definitely not worth it's weight in gold! Not even worth it's weight in tin or aluminum. 

The little plastic box that holds the buttons, needles, safety pins, etc... That's cheap as well. I can't tell you how many times it's popped open on me and everything has spilled out. Pins, needles, buttons all flying left of the tent, right of the fire, over a plate, under a bush; you name it. I had to search everywhere to find my complete sewing kit. My neighbors started laughing at me. "Just give it up. You'll never find those things. Here have a drink with us." One person helped me. She found A BUTTON, laughed at the embarrassment of it all and walked away. 

I looked in my tent, under my tent, near the fire, in the neighbors camps (left and right). I looked under bushes, on flowers, in shoes, in my neighbors shoes! I finally found my sewing kit items--for the most part. The next day I found a button while dumpin the dirty water. It glittered in the mud. 

I'm still missing a few pieces. I had to start a new needle and thread to continue my project. It wasn't easy trying to poke a thread in the very thin eye of the needle! I miss my threader!  As crappy as it was I didn't spend five minutes poking and missing the eye of he needle. Lick the thread, introduce it to the needle. The thread veers left. Lick the thread again, introduce it AGAIN to the needle, it veers right. One more time only to find myself cross-eyed! I look far away and things are blurry for a moment as my eye muscles adjust again. 

Sewing has taken the place of my hand held electronic device. It's a fine motor skill. It keeps my eyes very close to the medium. It gives me simple joy. However, I do miss getting information at the touch of my fingers.  That's a topic for another day. 




P. S. 

Two days later I finally found the needle with the biggest eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment