Saturday, October 19, 2013

Winter Wash

It's been a full season since we've all become refugees. The temperature is dropping. It's about time to wash the winter clothes. I aim to do it today!

I'm planning to wash the clothes I was wearing when I was transported here. My navy blue long sleeved polo shirt, my dark pants, my long johns, and the two famous socks I wore that day. One set mismatched!  I was wearing them as the first set hidden from the world. The left foot was yellow and pink polka dots, while the right foot was red plaid! Couldn't clash anymore than those two! And yet I would wear them when I wanted people to believe I was crazy and leave me alone. 

Of course those socks don't make me look crazy; but a whole getup does.  If I wear mismatched clothes and accessories and don't brush my thick, curly hair then people think I'm strange and want to avoid me. If I add strange singing at odd hours that usually helps clinch the illusion of my weirdness. 

But now, back to my laundry. A group of us have gotten together to launder and save soap. I've brought my winter clothes to wash while I wear my tankini. As a group we went to collect water to wash our clothes. Just going to get the water is a chore...pun intended. 

I secured my belongings and left my old roommate in charge of our belongings. I took my wash bucket and wash bag with me. It took half an hour to walk to our water source. Then it took half an hour for our turn to get the water. We four ladies dragged out buckets back to our site. They would not let us wash at the source!!! Assholes. I was able to transfer water from the bucket to the bag. When it comes time to wash I'll either transfer half to the bucket and wash in it; or I'll transfer half to the bucket and wash in the bag.  Either way the left over water is for rinsing. 

Tbc 

Bucket 


Soap 


No comments:

Post a Comment