Sunday, April 28, 2013

I remember... Elevator 01

I was laying down, remembering an incident at the local department store. I was there with my roommate. We were there to buy her nephew a toy.

Already I was developing a headache from the constant whining of a two year old. I heard the chronic noise pollution coming from the next aisle. Curious to the cause of my headache I decided to take a sneak peak at the disturbed child.

I expected to find a girl with long hair, a dress, and a princess tiara on her head the way she was carrying on. Instead I found two rough and tumble boys fighting over the same toy. Both boys were wearing earth tone t-shirts and long pants. One had a typical 4-year old boy sounding cry. The second had a 2-year old high pitched feminine cry! Probably perfected from fighting with his brother over the toys.

I decided to walk away from the area. I was expecting the noise level of the high pitched crying to level off. It did not. In the moment I decided to leave my roommate the parents came to both boys, picked them up and decided to spontaneously parallel walk with me away from the toy department. "Oh my g-d! Am I being followed? Seriously?! Really?! F-CK!!" At this point I'm at my wits end, just like the father of the two boys. I was heading for the elevators, when lo-and-behold!, guess who called the elevator! I WANTED TO SCREAM! I WAS SO FRUSTRATED. I step away from the elevator. "I got the toy", said my roommate as she passed me by. She walked over to the elevator and got in the same car as the family. Apparently she missed the dad attempting to lead the screaming child into said elevator. Failing that he picked up the brat and shoved him in the car. Mother and older brother followed. "Come on", said my roommate as she stepped into the elevator. The door closed behind her. I refused to take a step closer to her.

The elevator doors closed. I could still hear the child screaming. Suddenly a blaring alarm sounds out from the cavity of the elevator car. The elevator was stuck between floors!

I slowly and joyfully walked away from the nightmare of elevator 01. I was very happy to have some alone time from my roommate and that family.

My friend was finally released from her noisy jail 40 minutes later. She found me at the cafeteria eating a hot dog and drinking an Icee. So much for peace and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment