Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Rotten Fruit

Fruit won't last forever. If its refrigerated it'll last longer. If its at room temperature it'll expire as nature intended. If it is preserved either in jars or dehydrated it will last the longest.

I can't refrigerate my fruit because there is no electricity. I don't bother preserving because there isn't enough to make it worthy of the task. What do I do? I eat the fruit as long as it lasts. Occasionally a fruit will expire before I have the chance to eat it. Before, back home I simply would have thrown out the offending fruit and grabbed another one. I don't have that option here. Every resource has to be used. It cannot be thrown away. What do I do? I cut away the rotting flesh of the fruit and use it for composting. The good, the fresh part of the fruit I eat.

Every part of the fruit is used up. I save the seeds and plant them. The skin of the citrus I use to add zing to foods I cook. When I can no longer use the skin I add it to the compost.

NOTHING IS WASTED. Nothing.

When the fresh milk went sour I made a dessert out of it. I didn't throw it away. When I made it it smelled nasty. But, when I ate it it tasted delicious. My mother used to make it when I was a little girl. A house full of two adults and four children. Occasionally the milk did expire. Not always, but sometimes. My mom would be making the spoiled milk dessert Saturday mornings. I would wake up to that foul odor. However, once I knew what she was making, despite the foul smell, I couldn't wait to eat it.





No comments:

Post a Comment